By Sandy Wilder
Three clergy, Rev. John Wright, Rev. Michael Mumme, and Rev. Cathy Stone, and five lay delegates, Richard Bettis, Adama Brown, Davis Covin, Teresa Edwards, and Sandy Wilder, represented FUMC at Annual Conference in Corpus Christi in June. Annual Conference is the yearly gathering of our regional body of United Methodism.
- Approved the 2017 Rio Texas Conference apportionments and budget of almost $10.5 million;
- Elected people to serve on conference boards and committees;
- Approved the work of the conference Board of Trustees, Finance Table, Mission Vitality Center, Uniting Table, Board of Ordained Ministry, Board of Pensions and Health Benefits, and Committee on Nominations;
- Participated in In Mission Together and Just Say Yes! teaching sessions;
- Heard the Laity Address, the Bishop’s State of the Church Address, and a report from the General Conference delegates;
- In worship, celebrated communion, honored retiring pastors, remembered deceased pastors and spouses, ordained new clergy, and commissioned a new deaconess.
Many delegates attended special luncheons and dinners during Annual Conference: Mission Breakfast, United Methodist Women luncheon, Peace and Justice luncheon, and others. The exhibit area and Cokesbury sales tables were popular places.
A highlight for FUMC delegates was receiving our new senior pastor, Rev. Taylor Fuerst and celebrating Rev. Cathy Stone’s ordination. The delegates returned from Corpus Christi energized for the year ahead.