The question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be. Will be extremists for hate or for love? Will we be extremists for the preservation of injustice or the extension of justice?
– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sometimes, becoming involved can be as simple as signing up for action alerts and then sending your legislators a short letter or e-mail at the appropriate time. Numerous organizations offer action alerts that members of our congregation may find helpful.
- The United Methodist Church General Board of Church and Society: The United Methodist Church’s social justice body offers updates on particular legislative issues. You can register for the updates here.
- Texas Impact: Texas Impact is a state-wide, interfaith community that focuses on social justice issues. You can sign up for its updates here.
- The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops: The Catholic church has a strong history of social teachings, and the US Conference of Catholic Bishops offers action alerts on political activity and the national and international level. You can register for the updates here.
- Faithful America is a self-described online community of tens of thousands of citizens motivated by faith to take action on the pressing moral issues of our time. You can register for the updates here.
- One: One is a non-partisan, international campaign to fight extreme global poverty and AIDS. The campaign has over 2.4 million individual members and also numerous non-profit partners, including the United Methodist Church. People that sign up as members will be provided action alerts on related issues.