As part of the Rio Texas Conference Child, Youth, and Vulnerable Adult Safety Policy, all clergy, staff, and volunteers in ministry with youth, children, and vulnerable adults are required to be certified through a 3-step Safe Gatherings process every two years by following these three steps:
TRUSTed con Confianza Certification
1. Register with Safe Gatherings
Go to safegatherings.com and click on the red Get Started button.
- Fill out the online application: Select First United Methodist Church of Austin
- As Senior Pastor, Taylor Fuerst will receive an automatic request for a reference. DO NOT list her as your clergy reference.
- Pastors Cathy Stone and Michael Mumme CAN be listed even though it says “do not use your current clergy.” List them as a “clergy member at a different church” and indicate in the given box that they serve as your Associate or Executive Pastor.
- You MAY use another professional reference instead of a pastor.
- FUMC lay staff members are happy to serve as your lay reference.
- References WILL be emailed, so please use someone you know personally and notify them to expect a message that requires a response.
2. Complete the Safe Gatherings Online Training Course
Once you have completed your online application, you will be shown a dashboard of options. The Safe Gatherings training is an online course that must be completed within a month of your background check application. It will take 1-2 hours to complete online. Click to begin next to Course Completion in your dashboard.
3. Attend a Trusted Con Confianza Training
Attend a 2-hour online webinar or in-person workshop that addresses the details of the Conference policy. Please REGISTER for a training online at riotexas.org/safetrainings.
Your certification is NOT complete until all three steps have been finished. The church receives notification when you are cleared to participate in ministry. Thank you for your dedication and your service! If you have questions, contact FUMC Safety Policy Administrator Emily Buchanan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Con Confianza 3 Steps