Safety of our children is a top priority at FUMC Austin.
All volunteers complete a background check prior to working with children and renew them every two years thereafter. In addition, our staff follows the procedures listed below to ensure a safe environment.
- Two adults are required in classrooms at all times.
- Childcare staff stays current on First Aid/CPR Training.
- Youth volunteers or assistants are required to be at least five years older than the children they are watching.
- No childcare staff workers are under the age of eighteen.
- Classroom doors remain open for visibility at all times.
- Preschool children are signed in and sign out out of all activities by parents. School-aged children are released only to parents unless other arrangements are made between the teacher and parents.
All volunteers and staff are required to sign and adhere to the FUMC Child and Youth Safety Policy.
Zero Tolerance for Abuse
FUMC Kids follow a zero tolerance for abuse. Every staff member and volunteer is responsible for the welfare of the children in our program. In the event a staff member or volunteer observes any inappropriate behaviors (i.e. policy violations, neglectful supervision, etc.) or suspected abuse (physical, emotional, or sexual), it is their personal responsibility to immediately report their observations to their immediate supervisor.
Safe Sanctuary Training
All volunteers working with our children and youth must complete a Safe Sanctuary Training either in person when scheduled or by reviewing the Safe Sanctuary Training Presentation and then completing a test at this link with a passing score.
All volunteers working with children and youth must complete a Background Check Consent Form every two years and mail to Lara Greene, Director of Children and Family Ministries, at 1201 Lavaca Street Austin, TX 78701.
- Background Check Consent Form
- Safe Sanctuary Training Presentation
- A Summary of Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act