There are many opportunities for children and adults to get involved.
We begin teaching our children acolyte responsibilities when they are in 3rd grade. Our acolyte coordinator can prepare your child to serve during Sunday worship.
FUMC worship services are led by a team of acolytes each week. The acolytes are children who have taken a training class.
The acolytes lead the procession by bringing the “Light of Christ” into our worship service and lighting the candles. The acolytes extinguish the candles at the end of the service and remind us that each of us is called to carry the “Light of Christ” out into the world as they symbolically leave with their wands lit. Any child in 3rd grade or higher is invited to attend acolyte training and to become a part of this very special ministry.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if your child is interested in serving as an acolyte.
5 Tips for Acolytes
- Let your light shine! Acolytes serve a valuable role, representing Christ’s light in the world. This is a grown up way to participate in worship. We are so glad you want to serve as an acolyte!
- Sign up as often as you like! We encourage acolytes to serve at least once a month.
- Arrive about 10 minutes before the service begins. You will choose a robe and a wand, then be ready for an adult to light your wick.
- Training is offered at least once in the fall, but can be scheduled one-on-one or whenever there is a need.
- Forgot the details from training? Check the drawer in the foyer table for a cheat sheet. The pastors are also happy to give you hints or nudges when it is your turn.
Sunday, beginning August 21 | 9:30-10:00AM | SAN Room 111
Children from Kindergarten – 5th grade are welcome to participate in our children’s choir, which incorporates fun and fellowship into singing praise to God. The choir meets weekly on most Sunday mornings during the school year from 9:30-10:00AM. They perform in worship and for special events, including occasional musicals. For more information, email email@example.com.
FUMC Kids volunteers are integral to our church families and instrumental in nurturing our children in Christian love.
Many ongoing volunteer opportunities are available throughout the year. If you have time to give, we can find a role for you. Volunteer roles include:
- Sunday School teachers and assistants
- Hallway greeters
- Vacation Bible School teachers, assistants or activity center areas
- Helping with programs and events (Easter Egg Festival, Wonderfully Made, etc.)
- Serving on the Children’s Ministry Team
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Lara Greene, Director of Children and Family Ministries, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 478-5684, ext. 211.