Director of Finance
First United Methodist Church of Austin exists to build a community where all people are invited to know God’s love and are sent to join God in transforming the world. The purpose of the Director of Finance is to manage the financial practices of the church so that the church can conduct its operations and live out its mission in a sustainable manner.
The Director of Finance is responsible for the oversight and accomplishment of the overall financial activities of the First United Methodist Church of Austin, an organization with an annual budget of approximately $2 million. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position reporting directly to the Director of Operations.
1) Oversee day-to-day financial operations of the church
- Maintain general ledger (accounting entries, month and year close), including assigning costs to various individual funds that compromise the church and preschool accounting system.
- Manage accounts receivable and payable
- Review expenses for legitimacy and proper coding
- Make bank deposits, monitor cash flow and bank balance
- Review income areas and compare to budget plan
- Produce monthly financial reports
- Maintain confidential and security of personal financial information of members and donors
2) Accounting and financial reporting functions
- Complete financial reporting required by the Annual Conference and Charge Conference
- Facilitate audit processes and provide support and information as required by the auditors (every other year)
- Calculate value of endowment at year-end close and calculate the recommended distribution to the church.
- Develop financial analysis tools that indicate organizational financial health
3) Carry out duties of the CFO function of the church
- Supervise and monitor Finance Assistant, providing support as needed
- Serve as a back-up for the Finance Assistant when needed
- Develop annual budget, monitor results, analyzing variances
- Maintain relationships with external lenders
- Review and assist the Director of Operations in the selection of insurance coverage – including property and staff health insurance
- Authorized signature/approval for certain financial transactions – including payroll and receivables
4) Assist Human Resources Department
- Preparation of financial paperwork to onboard new employees
- Maintain employee personnel file
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or business
- Master’s Degree in accounting or business (preferred)
- Extensive years of practical experience in the arena of accounting and
financial practices – minimum 10 years
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), financial analysis skills, familiarity with employment law and human resources best practices
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer software skills (excel, accounting software, etc…)
- The ability to learn the church’s financial and membership database.
Other requirements for this position:
- Biennial (once every two years) Background Check (required for all positions).
- Annual Credit Check.
- Follow policies and procedures as outlined in the First United Methodist Church Child Safety Program.
- Flexibility at key times, such as end of year.
- 403(b) matching
- 100% employer paid health insurance
- Generous PTO
For more information, contact Dave Ballbach, Director of Operations at email@example.com.