The 2016 ASP team will be serving in Kentucky, June 17 – 28th, 2016.
Those who have signed up need to make the following meetings:
- Sunday, January 31st 12:15 p.m. for ASP Team
- Saturday, March 5th 9 a.m. Construction Workshop for ASP Team
- Saturday, April 16th 9 a.m. Construction Workshop for ASP Team
- Sunday, April 24th 12:15 p.m. Forms and Stock Supplies for ASP Team and Parents
- Sunday, March 22nd 12:15 p.m. for ASP Team
- Sunday, June 5th ASP Team Commissioning in 11 a.m. Worship
- Sunday, June 5th 12:15 p.m. Final Meeting for ASP Team and Parents
What is Appalachia Service Project?
Appalachia Service Project, or ASP, is First UMC’s high school summer mission trip. Each year a team of youth and adults travel to the Appalachian Mountains to spend a week in service building wheelchair ramps, fixing roofs, and building relationships. Through our participation with ASP, our high school youth are helping eradicate substandard housing in Appalachia.
ASP’s Guiding Principles
- We believe that each person is a child of God imbued with dignity and worth
- We accept people right where they are and just the way they are.
- We believe that affordable, safe, sanitary housing is a basic human right.
- We are committed to witness through the good quality of our work and careful stewardship of our resources.
- We believe God calls volunteers to serve others as partners in ministry and we will encourage their growth in faith as they are involved in this service.
- We believe where ASP is involved in local communities we will encourage, affirm, and support social and economic justice
Please contact Pastor Cathy for additional information about this trip.