FUMC worship services are led by a team of acolytes each week. The acolytes are children who have taken a training class.
The acolytes lead the procession by bringing the “Light of Christ” into our worship service and lighting the candles. The acolytes extinguish the candles at the end of the service and remind us that each of us is called to carry the “Light of Christ” out into the world as they symbolically leave with their wands lit. Any child in 2nd grade or higher is invited to attend acolyte training and to become a part of this very special ministry.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if your child is interested in serving as an acolyte.
5 Tips for Acolytes
1) Let your light shine! Acolytes serve a valuable role, representing Christ’s light in the world. This is a grown up way to participate in worship. We are so glad you want to serve as an acolyte!
2) Sign up as often as you like! We encourage acolytes to serve at least once a month.
3) Arrive about 10 minutes before the service begins. You will choose a robe and a wand, then be ready for an adult to light your wick.
4) Training is offered at least once in the fall, but can be scheduled one-on-one or whenever there is a need.
5) Forgot the details from training? Check the drawer in the foyer table for a cheat sheet. The pastors are also happy to give you hints or nudges when it is your turn.