Director of Connections
Job Type: Part-time (15 hours/week)
Salary: $15,000 annually
Church Size: ~1,800-member / worship average ~370
First United Methodist Church, a historic and forward-thinking congregation in the center of Austin, TX, is seeking a Director of Connections to lead the church’s ministry of incorporating visitors and newcomers into fuller involvement in the church’s ministry. The successful candidate will share First UMC’s belief that all people are the beloved children of God, on a journey toward God, with God, and they will demonstrate a passion and giftedness for empowering members and volunteers to invite and involve newcomers.
- Work with Senior Pastor, Staff, and Lay Leaders to further develop a culture of invitation and connection in the life of the congregation, including the following:
- recruitment and leadership of a Connections ministry team
- development and leadership of an ongoing campaign to empower all church members to take responsibility for inviting and involving newcomers in ministry opportunities modeling personal friendliness and hospitality to all, especially newcomers.
- Lead the redevelopment of a process by which newcomers are welcomed and introduced to the mission, ministries, and leaders of the church, as well as expectations and opportunities for those who are involved
- Partner with Communications staff and lay leaders to develop the following:
- effective internal signage that facilitates hospitality to visitors
- ongoing invitational marketing campaigns, with clear responsibility for encouraging church members to invite others
- Study best practices in this ministry area in order to provide ongoing assessment and refinement of First Church’s connection ministries.
Consider applying if you are:
- Gifted with an open, welcoming personality
- Able to inspire, encourage, and effectively lead teams of volunteers
- Organized and efficient, with effective delegation skills
Committed to the mission of the United Methodist Church, to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Consider applying if you know or are willing to learn:
- ACS (Cloud-based Church Database Software)
- Google Apps (Googledocs, Gmail, etc)
It would be a bonus if you:
- Have experience working in a church setting (United Methodist Church preferred but not required)
Before you apply, explore who we are and what we do:
Qualified candidates may e-mail a résumé and cover letter to Rev. Taylor Fuerst at email@example.com by December 1, 2016.