Founded in 1840, First United Methodist Church of Austin (FUMC) is an inclusive faith community of Christian believers in the heart of downtown. We balance traditional worship services with progressive theology. More than a neighborhood church, we are a church for all of Austin. Our members gather from across Central Texas and share a commitment to engaging conversations, community service, social justice, and Jesus’ commandment to love our neighbors. Our mission is to make Christian disciples who make a difference in our community and around the world. Come worship with us under the dome on Sunday mornings. All are welcome.
The people of First United Methodist Church of Austin seek a lasting, life-changing relationship with God through Jesus Christ. We act out our faith by making a positive difference on our streets, in our neighborhoods, and around the world, just as Jesus has called us to do.
We believe every person is a beloved child of God. We believe every person is on a journey to God, with God. We freely admit that we do not have all the answers, but we believe that Jesus points the way. When we practice genuine hospitality, engage in heartfelt acts of service, and embrace the gifts of people from different backgrounds and experiences, the church becomes the authentic expression of God’s unconditional love for us all.
- At FUMC, we strive to remain true to the United Methodist motto, Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors.
- Our congregation is committed to Jesus’ commandment to love thy neighbor by welcoming all ages, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities, economic conditions, marital statuses, and mental or physical abilities to attend, join and participate fully in the life of our congregation.
- We believe in studying scripture as the foundation of Christian beliefs.
- We promote social justice and actively participate in service and advocacy to draw closer to the kingdom of heaven on earth.
- All we are and all we do flows from our common worship and love of God. We are able to reach out and love others because God first loved us.
- We challenge the notion that faith is easy by asking difficult questions. Engaging our hearts and minds allows us to grow in our understanding of God.
- We seek meaningful relationships with one another through social and service activities, shared study and conversations, and mutual support of our families, young and old.